Wednesday 26 January 2011

Photoshop - preparing images for presentation

Raw
I shoot my images with an Olympus camera using Olympus Raw files.  This is really useful as it saves the maximum information that the camera can capture. 

To work with the image towards the final format I have been converting the images to:
.psd files
This is the format used within Adobe Photoshop.

Resize - The brief is to submit images not only in their final display, but to hand in copies of the original image files as well as the final photoshop files to the tutor.  The final files to be images sizes to A3 at 300dpi.

As I take images I attempt to capture as closely as possible the final image that I will present, however, to achieve the final image that I am looking for it has been necessary to edit some of the images.

Edit- colour - sharpen - (removal of modern equipment such as CCTV cameras within old fashioned style images). Review individual and group in terms of accuracy, detail, finish.  Look at how the group work together.


Photographic output vs print
In previous blogs I have identified that I will be preparing images to print using a four colour (CMYK) print process.

Photoshop will allow you to convert the file from RGB to CMYK colour.


This in itself is fairly straight-forward, however, further reading identified that additional thought about the process is needed.  Different printers use different equipment; paper will take the inks differently and there is not a single standard used around the world.  Prior to converting to CMYK it will be necessary to identify the colour settings that will be used.  This can go as far as setting a specific profile for a specific printer and paper.  In this case I have used a profile that will be suitable for most coated papers within Europe.



Prep of file for print 
I have chosen this method of outputting the images as I believe it will suit the style that I am looking to present.  There is one further consideration re colour - the difference between the colour gamut (range of colours) of RGB and CMYK.  CMYK is not able to reproduce the full range of colours that are available within RGB.  The conversion process may also vary some of the colours, especially if the original contained strong saturated colours.  This has not been a major issue for me with the images that I am looking to present.  For most it has been a simple process of - review colour vs. original and boost saturation by 5-10%.

 
Key to presentation - variety of images - look to pull together - colour & B&W - use of border / border colour. 

I will be presenting a range of landscape, portrait and square images.  Have chosen a border to develop consistency.  Initial border was white however this did not work well with the winter / B&W images and the border was converted to black.

No comments:

Post a Comment