Saturday 22 January 2011

B&W conversion

There are a number of different ways to convert images to B&W.  It has been covered in a number of the magazines that I have read over the last 16 weeks.  My initial efforts have been within the programme that came with my camera - "Olympus Viewer 2".

As I have started to use Photoshop I have discovered that here are a number of ways of undertaking the conversion.  In an attempt to understand at least some of how this huge programme works I have purchased a copy of -
The Adobe Photoshop CS5 book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby.


I have found the book easy to follow and am pleased with the results.  The various stages are easy to follow with lots of pictures - a lot less stressful for me.


  1. Open the image that you wish to work on in Photoshop.
  2. Open a new adjustment layer - gradient map.  This will convert the image to B&W and reveal a grey scale.
  3. Click on the greyscale itself - this should open the gradient editor.
  4. Click just below the greyscale on the editor - it will reveal a stop point - double click on this to reveal a box to select stop colour.
  5. Click on the colour picker to set colour range for the image.  Greyscale is on left edge. 
  6. Tone range can now be adjusted in the gradient editor using the middle stop that you revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment