Thursday 30 September 2010

Rediscovering the local library

I used to use the library on a very regular basis.  I'm not sure when or why this stopped.  There are always books around at home so it's not that I have fallen out of love with books, it's just that I cannot remember the last time that I went to a library.

Now that I think more about it it was all about convenience.  When we used to live on the edge of Derby it was easy to call in at the central library as we walked home from town.  Yesterday it was a visit to the library at Swadlincote.  It feels small.  The pleasant surprise was a section of books about photography, all I need now is proof of who I am and I can start borrowing.  One of the first that I will borrow will be the one about low light photography.  Having started the course in September all of it will be undertaken during late autumn, winter and early spring so it's likely that there will be a lot of low light work, especially as I am looking to have a go at location photography.

Need to work on how to expose where there is a wide variety of lighting conditions covering the one subject.

Kedleston Hall, 25th September 2010
14mm (28mm equivalent) ISO 100, F3.5, 1/2sec
mini-tripod on display shelf

Kedleston Hall, 25th September 2010
14mm (28mm equivalent) ISO 100, F3.5, 1/2sec
mini-tripod on display shelf

These two images have been taken in the Marble hall at Kedleston Hall which is currently housing an art installation titled Promenade by Susie MacMurray

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian
    I've decided to withdraw from the course and "go it alone". However, if you want any company on "photoshoots" do let me know as I am still very committed to improving my photography skills.
    All the best.
    Teresa 07740 586403

    ReplyDelete